Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Do you ask casual questions?

The title of this blog post fit's right into the topic I want to briefly discuss today. Today I received an email from a friend asking a question that could potentially have an extremely long and drawn out answer :P. And a thought occurred to me that she may just have been asking a "casual question," or a question that doesn't really warrant a lengthy response. The most prevalent example would be the "what's up?" "not much" question and response, where the question asker is not really wanting to know all that is going on in the other persons life, but instead is simply asking a "casual question." Therefore, I made it a point to ask this friend of mine is she was one to ask such casual questions :P. True to my style, I was subtle about it, but subtlety is a topic for another blog post :).

It was simply interesting to me that we had carried on an extremely lengthy conversation without me ever realizing that she may have simply been asking casual questions. If they were in fact casual questions, then appropriate answers to those particular suspect questions could have saved both of us a great deal of typing and reading time! :D hehe

It's difficult to know from text whether something is a casual question whereas in person casual questions are easily identified by the inflection and tone of question. Or at least that's my excuse hehe.

Has anyone else ever experienced that moment of realization after answering a question in-depth where you think "wait.. did they actually want to know all the details?" lol.

Hit the comment button and let us know :)

*You'll notice that I mentioned the title of this post fits in nicely with the topic discussed. You now have to ask yourself if the call to action was simply a casual question itself or if I really wanted to know if you ask casual questions. hehe, this is almost as fun as discussing time paradoxes! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment